Thursday, July 28, 2011

Should I consider a used Tachihara 4x5" Large-Format camera or an equivalent new alternative?

Question

As my primary photographic interests lie in landscape photography, I've been seriously looking into buying a large-format camera. In my research, I encountered the Tachihara 4x5", which is a beautifully crafted cherry-wood and brass frame camera. Sadly, as I've started looking at prices, it appears it was discontinued...this year! :( sob

I am curious about two things. First, is the Tachihara something worth buying used, and if so, outside of ebay, where might I find a used one? Second, are there any equivalent alternatives to the Tachihara that are still being manufactured? I really loved the cherry wood look of this particular camera, and all of the others I've looked at seemed to be black with simple chrome highlights. If there are comparable wood/brass alternatives to the Tachihara, I would be very interested.

Answer

You can still get the tachihara from mpex.com

No comments:

Post a Comment