Friday, July 22, 2011

How useful is the top LCD screen on a DSLR ?

Question

I don't own a DSLR (yet), so i do not have an opinion on the question, but I'm really curious about the usefulness of a top LCD screen, as found on cameras like the Nikon D90 or d60 and up.

Does you feel you are more productive with this screen?

Do the people that do not have it feel like they are missing something ?

(I'm talking about the LCD screen next to the shutter button, not the one inside the viewfinder.)

Answer

It's hard to say really, I find it indispensable, but that's mainly because I'm so used to using it. But it's really the information that I rely on, not the location of the screen.

It's a bit of a hangover to the film days when there wasn't a rear LCD. You could say it's easier to pull back and look at the rear LCD screen than to pull back and rotate the camera to look at the top. In fact I believe some film cameras such as the Minolta Maxxum 7 had exposure information LCD screens on the back instead of the top.

I'm not sure I buy the point about the LCD screen being too bright when your eyes are adjusted to starlight. You can turn the brightness right down, and/or stick an ND gel over the rear screen when doing astrophotography if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment