Thursday, July 28, 2011

Can you help me choose filters for a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS?

Question

I would like to buy Canon PowerShot SX30 IS camera and also would like to buy a filter to protect its lens.

I would like to have complete set of filters ranging from polarized, starburst, UV, red one for sun shots. However i learn that they could be expensive.

Also i would like to know whether after fitting the filter on top of lens does the lens cap still works? Or its like that i have to put on filter each time i remove the lens cap?

Please let me know which one i should buy and what options i have. Web links and information could be great help.

There appears to be two choices 67MM ring and 58 mm ring Does it fit and suited for this camera? Thanks.

Answer

I think you need an adapter, like the one from lensmateonline.com, first (I got one for my SX10IS and was very happy with it). There is a FAQ on that page that should answer most of your questions.

You'll probably need a new lens cap and lens hood.

Personally, I'm not a fan of leaving a filter on the lens all the time to protect it; there are a lot of opinions either way on this subject, you could probably waste a lot of time reading about the pros and cons. A circular polarizer and an ND filter (probably a 3-stop (sometimes called 8x)) are my two favorite filters.

You do NOT need a circular polarizer for your camera. A linear polarizer will work fine. You only need a circular polarizer if you have a DSLR (since the DSLR has a different light path to the viewfinder than to the sensor). Learn from my mistake, where I spent an extra $20 to get the circular polarizer when I didn't need it :) (Of course, now that I have a DSLR, it is useful).

No comments:

Post a Comment