Friday, July 22, 2011

Point and Shoot camera with great Auto mode

Question

I'm canon 7D shooter and I feel completely uncertain when buying a camera for my dad. Tech specs are not a good indicator of how user friendly a camera is.

Does a point and shoot camera exist that allows you to put the camera in Auto mode and simply get good pictures? I don't want one with bazillion shooting modes, however I'm looking for a camera with:

  • Quick start up time.
  • Has great 'A' mode.
  • Feels solid, doesn't have flimsy buttons.
  • Small enough to fit in fanny-pack :) but not big enough to need a separate bag.
  • Decent videos, 720p is fine.

Answer

you did not tell us about accepted price range, so I cannot recommend you exact camera.

However, (although I am DSLR user too) I have some experience with P&S cameras. I would recommend one of the Panasonic Lumix compact cameras - they have good construction and lenses (some have Leica lenses), are very user friendly and have good Auto mode with intelligent AF. I was surprised how good photos can they produce (in this camera category, of course). They also have some "more advanced" settings and programs.

Other candidate could be Nikon P300 (which I am going to buy as second camera to my DSLR) - it also has the priority programs etc. - maybe your dad would later dive more deeply in photography...

No comments:

Post a Comment