Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What software can I use for post-processing?

Question

I have access to the below software and I use all of them at various times. I do not have a specific workflow and would like to start following one.

  1. Aperture
  2. LightRoom
  3. Photoshop CS5

The general process that I follow is this:

  1. Import Pictures to Aperture library.
  2. "Sometimes" make some changes in Lightroom. The reason I don't always use lightroom is that my library is in Aperture and I don't want to import everything into Lightroom again.
  3. Most of the processing I do is on PS. I like to do adjustments on Layers.

How can I improve my workflow? I shoot JPEG.

Answer

The biggest step you could take is to commit to either Aperture or Lightroom. These applications are both trying to fill the same space in a photographer's workflow, and they each work best if they are the primary tool that you use. By committing to a single application for importing, organizing and processing your images, you will be able to put the full features of the application to use and get the value out of your investment.

Since you also use Photoshop, I'd actually be leaning towards Lightroom, as it has a clean integration between the two, but the choice is yours.

Answered by chills42

No comments:

Post a Comment