Thursday, April 19, 2012

Is there a correct way to communicate with photography subjects e.g. models?

Question

It may seem like this question has an obvious answer, but it’s something I do find quite difficult - I am very out spoken and confident but sometimes struggle with the following.

Should I just tell them what to do and they respond? Or should I change how I am with each subject?

I guess what I am asking is, what is the best way to communicate with photo subjects?

Is there a correct way to achieve the best shots / poses or is that down to style?

Asked by Rob

Answer

Everyone's style is different but this is what I do (and other pros in my area do similarly):

  • Always be respectful of the model.
  • Never touch the model, but if you need to rearrange something that you can't get them to do then ask for permission to touch them first.
  • Be careful of your wording. If a shot isn't working make sure that you don't make it sound like it's their fault.
  • Be direct with your directions. Using hand gestures that show them the tilt and direction to be at is very effective.
  • Never go into silent mode. That is very awkward for a model.
  • Be professional in your language. Never tell a model they're hot or attractive or something else.
  • If the model is doing something good, be sure to mention it. It tells them what's working and gives them a little boost.
  • Never blame your equipment or skills for missing a shot. If something isn't working, just change what you're doing but don't make them lose confidence in you by what you are saying.

These are just a few rules of thumb I've learned from pros like Andy Armstrong and incorporated into my people pictures. If I was to boil it all down to what I consider to be the best way of communicating it would be this:

Be respectful at all times and provide good feedback throughout the shoot.

Answered by nwcs

No comments:

Post a Comment