Saturday, December 31, 2011

Why doesn't the background become blurred when I change the aperture on my Fujifilm S4000?

Question

I am sorry if my question is too naive, but I am a complete beginner in photography, and I think I still need to understand well what aperture is. I have a Fujifilm S4000 camera, and I know I can't do with it everything that a professional camera does.

I wanted the background of some pictures to be blurred by changing the aperture, but I don't get the results I expected. I think it also has to do with the focal length, am I right? I took two pictures to show you what I mean.

Picture 1 Aperture: f/4 Exposure: 1/2 s Focal length: 7 mm

Picture 2 Aperture: f/10 Exposure: 2.6 s Focal length: 7 mm

I would like to know what settings I can use to get the background to be blurred. I know that with smaller aperture values, the area around the object in focus will be more blurred, but when I change from f/4 to f/10, it doesn't change much.

Answer

There is NO different at ALL because the physical aperture has not changed.

The Fuji Finepix S4000 simulates a small aperture using an ND filter. When you stop-down, the ND filter slides into the optical path. The Aperture written i the EXIF is adjusted to reflect the transmittance of the ND filter but since the size of the opening has not changed, Depth-Of-Field does not change either.

Not only do such cameras have very small sensors and extensive depth-of-field but they are also extremely prone to diffraction. If the aperture was actually stopped down to F/10, images would get quite blurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment