Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Which of these lenses should I get for low light conditions?

Question

I'm on a $500 budget and I'm thinking of getting one of these two lenses for low light conditions (e.g. small venue concerts):

Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG DF Macro Canon-ef

50mm f/1.4 USM

I think I prefer the 28mm focal length than the 50mm, so I'd go straight for the Sigma, BUT I wonder if 1.8 vs 1.4 would make much of a difference in low light. Also, I have no idea, in general terms, if any of these lens is better than the other.

What do you think?

Answer

First off, I don't own, nor have I ever owned the sigma 28/1.8. But I do own the Canon 50/1.4 and it's a pretty nice lens. However, it is rather soft at larger apertures and the build quality is just so-so. The build quality of sigma EX lenses (a couple of which I own) tend to be quite good. I was able to find a nice review of the sigma 28/1.8. It appears to be a decent lens, perhaps better suited for a body with a cropped sensor if edge to edge sharpness is a primary concern.

Speaking of crop sensor cameras. If that's the type of camera that you're working with, it might be worthwhile to look at the sigma 30/1.4. Another large aperture wide angle in your price range is the Canon 28/1.8 (which also works on full frame bodies). I've owned both of these lenses, but kept the sigma and got rid of the canon (the sigma was a sharper and produces less purple fringing).

No comments:

Post a Comment