Friday, December 30, 2011

How do I prevent bumps and bashes to my camera in crowded areas?

Question

When I want to take pictures at a rock concert/night club/crowded street my camera is at risk of being bumped, scracthed, or even knocked out of my hands by people pushing past, dancing, or just moving around impolitely.

What are the practical ways to prevent or minimise damage to the camera?

Note that I need to move around the venue/area so setting up a 'safe-zone' is not an option and I need to travel lightly as I'm arriving at the venues by motorbike.

Answer

I use a lens hood and a hand strap.

(This one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744403-REG/Canon_4991B001_Hand_Strap_E2_for.html)

I was hesitant before getting the hand strap that it would interfere with vertical shots, but it's not a problem at all. I just take my hand off the strap, flip the camera, and shoot away.

I've never had my camera damaged as a result of somebody bumping or running into me. The other person has walked away rubbing whatever unfortunate body part contacted my camera, though. I use the Canon 1 series, and they're built like bricks. Add a flower petal lens hood, and you really don't want to run into it.

Don't fixate on the 1 series, though. I've tripped and fallen on a 5D before (was strapped to my hand, and it broke my fall), and it suffered no ill effects. :)

Cameras are much tougher than you'd think. I wouldn't intentionally set out to determine exactly how tough.

I would not put filters on for low light scenes that include bright lights. You're more likely to run into unwanted reflections.

No comments:

Post a Comment