Thursday, December 29, 2011

What free software can I use to find pictures through meta data on Linux?

Question

I am looking for a software that allows me to find in my collection pictures that have a particular characteristic. For example pictures taken with the same lenses and similar focal length. or find pictures taken in a particular time frame.

Is there something like this for free (or very low price)? I would like it to run under Linux (via wine if necessary).

Answer

If you want free, and cross platform, you could try MaPiVi or XnView. MaPiVi only seems to work with JPG files, so if you shoot RAW it won't work for you. But you can search EXIF data like ISO, camera, shutter speed, and date/time.

Most catalogueing software will allow you to search or filter by EXIF data to some degree. You'd have to trial specific ones to see if they do all that you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment