Friday, December 23, 2011

If I'm happy with the speed, do I really need a faster class 10 or 30MB/s card for my DSLR?

Question

My camera came with 4GB class 10, 30 MB/sec card. I wanted to upgrade to high capacity memory card but I was skeptical, a lower speed card such as class 10, 20MB/sec will cripple my camera when I use it at its highest setting. I checked reviews online for super fast cards. I found this review quite useful. When I did the same test on my camera, I would notice it would stop in the middle (quite long pauses) and I really did not get the full 4 f/s picture that my camera is capable of.

Recently I went to NYC and used up all the memory of my 4GB card in one day so I got worried, I need a high capacity card esp because I want to shoot in raw. Instead of buying an new fast card first, I tried my 16 GB, class 2, micro SD card from my phone and put it test :)

It could shoot continuously (with no delay) at 2 or 2.2 f/s.This was in RAW format. I was actually very happy with that! I thought it would just totally cripple my camera. I did video test too on High Quality, 25 fps and it came out good, no jerks. So I am really happy that I can use my 16 GB class 2 card in my camera.

My question is, am I missing something? Do we really need a 30MB/sec card for the DSLR? Will the photo and video quality be the same with both the cards?

One thing I noticed with class 2 card is that browsing in camera was slow (noticeably slow), but as long as the camera captures the moments right, I am happy with it. Am I missing anything?

This question is more intended to ward, is it kind of myth that you have to use 30MB/sec card?

enter image description here

Answer

This other question covers how to figure out what speed you really need. But to answer the other part of what you are asking: No, card speed does not affect image quality in any way. The image files are digital, and it's not like analog cassette tapes where the composition of the media can make a difference. The only case image quality could be affected is when the slower speed forces you to choose a lower-quality setting in order to make smaller files. But that's a choice you'd make intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment