Thursday, August 25, 2011

Which Nikon kit lens is best to start with — or should I skip the kit lens?

Question

I'll buy the D3100, now I have to choose the lens. Right now, I have two packs to choose from:

  • D3100 + AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (pack price: 674€)
  • D3100 + AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (pack price: 510€)

Which one is the best investment? Either way I would love to buy the Nikkor 50mm f/1,8G (229€). I couldn't find any physical store (at Portugal) that sells the D3100 body only. I think I wouldn't mind having just the 50mm for a while. My actual camera is a sony-h2 with a 36-402mm (6-72 x6 crop factor).

Is any of those two kit lenses decent enough to buy with the camera or should I buy the body (and the 50mm) and get a decent better lens later? For example I've seen a AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4,5-5,6 ED VR for 363€ that probably would be more interesting than both kit lenses (and has the same diameter as the 50mm, awesome!).

P.S: I'm a landscape and portrait (amateur) photographer :P

Answer

Having a body and a 50mm isn't a bad way to get started, but if you do a lot of landscapes you might find it a bit stifling.

I'd pick up the 18-55 pack, kit lenses are generally good enough for you to start learning what works best for you and then look at investing into glass then. I rushed into buying stuff 6 months after getting a camera and then realised my style and usage was completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment