Friday, August 19, 2011

An inexpensive way to make DIY gels?

Question

Have any of you found a way to make inexpensive gels? I'd like to try using a few colors with my lights but have found most shops are mighty proud of theirs. My son saw me looking at them online and asked if photographers could use either plastic colored/see-through folders or colored page protectors? I'm sure there's an issue of melting and safety. If you've had any success with a cheap way of making gels, where to find them, I'd sure appreciate any tips.

Answer

I would pick up the Strobist Rosco collection, $12 gets you 55 gels. You aren't going to be able to handcraft 55 different filters out of things you can find at an office supply store.

If you really want to make them yourself, head on over to instructables.com and read this tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment