Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What are the first few steps a beginner should take in post processing?

Question

I'm starting to learn more about post processing my images, and I'm just wondering what are the first few steps I should take into post processing that would have the biggest effect on the photos I shoot? What are a few simple tips I can try in order to improve my photos? Is there any rule of thumb I should follow?

I mainly like to shoot travel and landscape photography if that makes a difference. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer

  1. Don't overdo it. A light touch is often best.
  2. Watch for destructive operations and decide if they're really what you want to do. Increasing contrast (or hitting "auto" in the levels dialog) can add a lot of punch, but comes at the expense of shadow and highlight details.
  3. Sharpen last, and with your final output medium in mind. Watch for halo artifacts!
  4. If you resize or rotate by non-90° angles, sharpening will be required, but again, don't do more than needed, and if possible save it until you know what the final output will be.
  5. It's best if you can work in a color-calibrated setup, and it's worth putting some time into getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment