Thursday, August 18, 2011

What to replace a mediocre Sigma 18-200mm with?

Question

I'm thinking about options to replace my Sigma 18-200mm. I have a Canon T1i and a Canon 50mm f1.8. With the Sigma I wanted an "all round" solution, but as it turns out the lens is neither fast nor sharp.

I plan on getting a wide lens (possibly a Canon 10-22mm) somewhere in the future, but until then I'd still like a lens to get me covered for landscape/architecture photos. Tele end is not that important, I'm aware of the fact that I can't get an all-in-one solution that would be great. Basically, I'd like something that has at least a bit of a wide end, but to go beyond the 50mm I have in the prime.

edit: thanks for your comments everyone, it seems that whatever replacement is suggested it's at least triple the price of my current lens. However, your comments have helped, I'll mark the most voted one as the "correct" answer.

Answer

First of all It all depends on what kind of photography you are doing the most.

Personally I can recommend you Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM:

pluses:

  • Fast focus
  • Good light (fast lens)
  • Sharp
  • Very good standard range
  • Goes nicely together with 10-22 you are planning

minuses:

  • Big & might be heavy (~0,5kg)

It is not cheap either, but I wouldn't put it as a minus - craftsmanship must cost its money and IMHO it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment