Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Can a cheap DX battery damage my camera?

Question

I would like to purchase a spare battery for my new Canon EOS 550D\Rebel T2i for a trip abroad.

I've found this battery on DealExtreme. It costs 6.90$ (with shippment), a small fraction from the street price.

What are the chances this battery will damage my camera?

enter image description here

Answer

The chances are high. Nikon started putting holograms on their batteries so they would be recognized as originals because some fakes burst into flames after some use.

Most importantly, is why are you even considering this? You paid good money for a nice camera and you want to risk it by saving some money on a cheap battery? If the one you have is not enough, even one more will give you at least another 400-shots per charge unless you use the flash more than you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment