Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why would the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS II be cheaper than the first version?

Question

I was about to order the Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens from Amazon, when I learned about the difference between a Grey Market / Imported versions. Not only that, I saw that there is a version II available, and the weird thing is that the first version is being sold for $240 in Amazon, while version II is being sold for $183.

I googled around to see if the second version had any compromises or got downgraded someway to make it cheaper, but it doesn't appear so. My question is..is there a reason why the first version would be better or more expensive?

Here are the links:

Version I ($240) Version II ($183)

Asked by GR7

Answer

Price Difference

The list price is the same for both the lenses ($299).

Version I is sold by Amazon, but version II is sold by PHOTOTECH through Amazon. Maybe PHOTOTECH can give higher discounts due to a favourable deal they have with Canon, a stock clearance sale or some other reason. The price difference has nothing to do with the capacities of these lenses but with the seller.

Physical Difference

For the physical differences between the two lenses, see this question.

Answered by Bart Arondson

No comments:

Post a Comment