Saturday, May 12, 2012

What are the tradeoffs when replacing two zoom lenses with a superzoom?

Question

I have two lens currently for my camera. An AF-S DX VR NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G (kit lens) and a AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lens. I have found that there are cases when the 18-55mm is too short and the 55-200 is too long. I have looked at a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens but I cannot currently afford to pay 1300 (USD) right now. I have also looked at cheaper options like a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 for $300 but then I get concerned about the quality. (Note: I am not printing my photos)

So my questions are this: First are lenses like the Tamron really worth anything? And if I was to purchase a lens with the range of 18-200mm why/when would I use the other lenses? Or does it come down to I should learn to switch my lens faster?

Asked by Lynda

Answer

It sounds like you don't like having to switch between two lenses, so you believe having a single lens would be a better solution, right?

I would encourage you to keep working with the two lenses you have. With more experience you'll have an easier time switching lenses quickly, and you'll have an easier time recognizing which lens will be most useful for a given shot. Also having a two-lens kit gives you the opportunity to only take one lens for a smaller kit when you know you don't need the full range. For example, shooting indoors with family I bet the 18-55 will be often used and the 55-200 almost never. Save some weight and size and take just the 18-55. If you were to get a bigger and heavier 18-200 you'll always have to carry it with no easy way to lighten the load, should you want to.

The lenses you have are actually very good, optically. Learn to use them well and you'll get fantastic results -- better than the Tamron, I bet. And as Pat also wrote, a lens with a larger the zoom range will have more compromises.

Answered by Dan Wolfgang

No comments:

Post a Comment