Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How strong is the tripod mount on the bottom of a DSLR?

Question

I'm looking at getting a sling-style strap for my camera (Canon 60D) but the one thing I keep wondering is if the tripod mount is strong enough to "hang" the camera from. I've seen some discussions of this, but no clear answer.

Are the any known issues with hanging a camera from the tripod mount? Would hanging it from one of the side lugs be stronger/safer?

Asked by Ward

Answer

The mount on the bottom of the camera is plenty strong. I carry a 5D and 1Ds Mk III around with my Black Rapid all the time and have had no problem. Just make sure you have the screw snugged down and check it periodically.

I really can't recommend these sling straps enough. I have a Black Rapid, so I haven't tried any others, but it's really made it a lot easier on my neck and back to carry heavy cameras and long lenses around.

Answered by Steve Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment