Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How can I visualise in monochrome via an optical viewfinder?

Question

Many years ago I had a glass filter I could look through to get an idea of what a scene might look like on black and white film. I think it was blue coloured, long gone I'm afraid.

Does anyone have suggestions for something similar I could get for my current cameras (Nikon D90, P7100) to get the same effect when looking through the optical viewfinder? Something I can hold up to my eye would be a second best.

Asked by epo

Answer

The filter you're thinking of is a Wratten #90. They used to come as gels, so you'd have to get a gel holder or just hold it and operate the camera one-handed. (Or just hold it in front of your face and don't bother with the camera.)

Both of your cameras have a mode that desaturates the image before storage, which would let you chimp it on the LCD after shooting it.

If you're trying to develop an eye for it, keep shooting in color and spend time later doing side-by-side comparisons between color and black-and-white. It's much better to have an image with more information in it that you can strip out than it is to be stuck with less than you wanted.

Answered by Blrfl

No comments:

Post a Comment