Saturday, May 19, 2012

Does a high ISO generally result in bad dynamic range and less accurate color?

Question

I have a Pentax K-x. I've had it set on "auto ISO up to 6400" for a while now, and I'm starting to wonder if this is making my images worse. Honestly I don't trust myself to tell.

Does a high ISO generally result in smaller dynamic range and less accurate color?

Asked by marienbad

Answer

Look at the DxOmark website where they review the K-x: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en.../Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Pentax/Kx

In the measurements tab, you can see a graph of how the dynamic range appears limited when using ISO 6400. It appears to be limited to a range of 8.5EV. The color ranges also suffers.

I find the site to be a good tool to compare what different cameras may have at similar settings as technology gets better.

Answered by smigol

No comments:

Post a Comment