Friday, May 25, 2012

How can I make my heavy lens tripod setup usable for my non-heavy lenses?

Question

About a year ago I invested in a new setup, consisting of a Nikon D7000, kit lens, and a Sigma 150-500mm for my main interest: wildlife photography. Although I'm not a big fan of tripods, I also got the Manfrotto 055XDB along with a "standard" 3-way tripod head.

At times when I wanted to use the D7000 + 500mm on the tripod, I quickly came to the conclusion that it does not work, the lens is so heavy that it creeps down even if you lock it firmly. Luckily, I resolved that by investing in the Manfrotto M393 tripod head:

enter image description here

It's works beautifully. Now let's talk about the problem. The part in grey is what I have attached to my heavy lens permanently, even when its not on the tripod. This way, I don't have to screw it onto my lens each time. I can just slide my heavy lens with that part attached to it into the rails, lock it with the lever and be ready, a process of 5 seconds.

However, I would like to use this same tripod head for my non-heavy lenses. Here's my considerations:

  • Buy a second tripod, and use the classic 3-way head on the 2nd tripod. Not an option, I don't want to be carrying two tripods around.
  • Use one tripod, yet replace the head each time I need a different lens. Not an option, attaching/detaching the M393 takes minutes and requires tools. Plus I need to carry around two tripod heads
  • Don't attach the grey part to my heavy lens, and attach/detach it each time I change lenses. This also takes too long and also requires tools.

I don't like any of those options, and am looking for a solution that is more convenient. I was trying to see if the quick release plate of my classic 3-way head can slide into the M393's rails, and then lock it into place. It doesn't secure well enough and the other problem is that the camera blocks the black lever that one needs to use to screw it into place.

I'm not exactly sure what I need to resolve this or if its possible. I'm guessing I need a second plate that fits the M393 rails. Yet it would need to be less lengthy, and quite likely raised, so that it does not block the lever to secure it.

I am probably the only person in the world having this problem, but I'm hoping there's a magic part of solution that fits my needs?

Asked by Ferdy

Answer

Manfrotto makes all sorts of quick release plates in different sizes and shapes. I bet they make one that would fit that head and would be shorter. I don't see a specific item to point you to, but contacting Manfrotto should get you a part number.

IMO, in a broader sense, I'm not sure this head was the right choice. The 150-500 really isn't a heavy lens -- not compared to the heavy lenses that this head is intended for. Additionally, this head is intended to be used on a monopod, not a tripod. I think the right solution is a good medium-duty ballhead (such as an RRS BH-40. If you really want the gimbal-style head, add a Wimberley Sidekick. Of course, the BH-40 would easily handle any lighter camera/lens combination, too, and is arguably a smaller and lighter package.

Answered by Dan Wolfgang

No comments:

Post a Comment