Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why is Photoshop not merging my panorama?

Question

It's not something i am planning on doing often but I wanted to try to do a panorama and use Photoshop's "Merge to Panorama" feature to stitch the images. Previously I have only done this manually. I think I have a decent overlap in my images but Photoshop is unable to stitch my images. I have 2 sets of images and it stitches the middle group fine but not the first and the last image. This is similar with my other group of images where it stitches 2 middle groups and not the first and the last image. Below is a screen capture of what i usually get:

What am I doing wrong?

enter image description here

Answer

The framing of the first and last images seems to be significantly different from the others (it took a while for me to see that the top pic was the last and the bottom the first, assuming left-to-right sequence). There may simply be too much ambiguity for Photoshop to deal with in this particular sequence, since the main differentiator is colour (something PS autocorrects to a degree in stitching), with the darkness of the islands and clouds being the "anchor", and both of the pics left out have the horizon in a significantly different place than their next-door neighbors.

I don't know how the panoramic merge works in PS these days (I'm still running CS3), but this looks to me like one of those instances where manual tiling would be necessary, and I'd expect to lose (or have to synthesize) a significant part of the vertical after the stitching because of the framing issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment