Friday, September 16, 2011

What do I need to trigger a remote flash with a Nikon D3100?

Question

I'd like to get into doing some remote lighting, but really don't get the best way to do it.

I've got a Nikon D3100, so no "commander mode" with the built-in flash. My current external flash is a SB-600.

Answer

You've got a few options:

  • You could use a few universal translators and do it wired.
  • You could use a cheap radio trigger (I personally use the Cowboy Strobist with the D3100 and SB-600).
  • You could use the highly reputed classic Pocket Wizard
  • Or if you want wireless TTL, you could look at MiniTT Pocket Wizards
  • You can use the SU-4 Nikon remote to make any body a Nikon CLS commander (but this is line of sight then).
  • You could use optical slave triggers and trigger with the onboard flash (but this is line of sight then).

I've had good, reliable luck with the cheap Cowboy Strobist radio triggers and think they're a great way to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment