Friday, September 23, 2011

Why is my RAW import not displaying properly?

Question

I normally take my shots in RAW and normally work happily with them in Gimp on Linux. I have recently moved to a new shiny Windows laptop with Photoshop.

I have imported some shoots using Lightroom 3 but I am not seeing a faithful representation of the image either in LR nor in PS proper.

An example of the problems I am seeing can be seen in this image:

noisy image

I have installed the latest Canon codecs for my camera (crc_1_8_0_68).

If I view the image on my camera's LCD screen I can zoom in and whilst there is a little noise this is nowhere near as bad as that seen in the above image.

What should I check to further diagnose this problem?

Answer

The image you see on the LCD is not the Raw image: it is a JPEG preview of it. Therefore it has had noise reduction, sharpening, and colour adjustments applied to it by the camera, just like a JPEG would if you had the camera set to record the shots as JPEGs.

Only when you import the photos to your PC will you see the actual Raw file without any (or at least low level) noise reduction etc. applied. It is up to you to apply these settings in LR or ACR.

I suspect that the RAW editor in GIMP was automatically applying noise reduction settings you'd previously used, hence you weren't used to seeing it on your old system.

No comments:

Post a Comment