Monday, September 19, 2011

What medium format camera should an SLR guy look at?

Question

Ok, I know the SLR world pretty well, I've owned Pentax, Canon, and now Nikon film SLRs, from the '80s to the naughties.

But I know nothing about medium format cameras, so I need your advice!

My Requirements

  • it has be pretty cheap, I'm expecting to pay between $200 and $800? less would be better so I can spend on film / processing / lenses

  • I don't want a "toy" camera.

  • I'm trying Medium Format for the quality of the film, so I want a body that can take awesome interchangeable lenses.

  • I want the lenses to be relatively easy to find in 2nd hand camera shops, and I don't want them to be the most expensive lenses (i.e, Pentax lenses are more than enough, though better is always good!)

  • I need it to have a pretty reliable through the lens light meter.

  • it does NOT need any auto focus

  • it CAN be heavy and bulky

  • it MUST be a waist "look down" viewfinder.

  • I'd rather 6x6, but am flexible. I want to be able to put awesome low ISO film in there.. don't know if that limits me in the size?

  • I would like a pretty fast shutter... but I know in older cameras it's hard to go above 1/1000

One More Thing, Very Important

  • I do a lot of night time photography, so I need to be able to meter light at very long exposures, and of course set very long exposures.

Answer

The good news - all medium format gear is ridiculously cheap now that everyone switched to digital.

Cheapest hardware is probably 645, Mamiya was always cheapest and is lens compatible right upto their most modern digital models. Although most people used them as eyelevel SLRs you can get a waistlevel finder for $10

My favorite 6x7 was always Mamiya RB67 (or RZ if you like more electronics)

Then of course there is the famous Hassleblad - I've nearly been tempted to buy a Hassleblad just as a piece of art.

Whichever it's going to cost a fortune in film and you need a very high end film scanner

EDIT: Not sure if it's allowed here but check www.keh.com for used MF gear (no link other than a long time very satisfied customer)

No comments:

Post a Comment