Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Simple app for viewing JPG and then deleting JPG+RAW files simultaneously?

Question

Does anyone know of a simple photo viewer that will let you quickly flip through a bunch of photos, and delete the ones you don't want, that will also (optionally) delete an associated RAW and/or sidecar file?

I'm thinking of an app that had a buttons for Delete JPG, Delete RAW, Delete Both, or that would mark them for deletion to perform before exiting the app, or something similar to that.

Edit: Windows Vista (soon to be Windows 7), camera is Nikon D90 (so .NEF raw files). I have not instaleld the bundled Nikon software yet. I've just been using the Windows photo import which just copies them onto the hard drive. If I preview using Windows Photo Gallery, deleting the file only deletes the JPG, so I have to go back and delete the raw files manually afterwards.

Answer

Geeqie can do this -- turn on the "Enable Image Grouping" option, and files with the same base name will be grouped. (It doesn't do anything magic to link files by actual contents that I'm aware of, though.)

You should be able to install it with yum install geeqie or apt-get install geeqie on Fedora or Ubuntu. I'm not aware of pre-built packages for Mac or Windows, but in theory it should be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment