Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When buying entry level cameras, are lenses really more important than the body?

Question

Original Question: Is there a D5100 alternative

I was considering my first DSLR Nikon D3000, then saw D3100 and was fixed on it, then saw D5100 and I though yes,this is the one to go for. While browsing here, I came across comments that "Lenses are your first thing and then body", "Spend money on lenses and spend less on body". While I am new (and could be wrong), I don't quite agree with it. I compared images of D3100 Vs D5100, the picture quality is way better (and I believe with same lenses). I do like D3100 for it is lighter (highly desirable), cheaper and a full DSLR, but I am really impressed with D5100, its flip screen, image quality (80) vs (65).

D5100 is perhaps a little bit heavy for me, and does not feel that great in hands. I like the feel of Canon T3i better (a lot better) but then, I do believe D5100 has a far superior image quality (in my view). HDR is a plus for me as well. My question is, should I consider D3100, or a Canon? My price range is below $1000 but can go up if justified.

I like to photograph plants, sceneries in spring, myself, mountains, hiking, take shots of ppl and perhaps historic places and thunderstorms. Please suggest. I am already getting a good deal on Nikon5100. Is there anything I am missing. It is a first time big investment for me on camera.

Answer

Cameras matter too, and at the bottom end there's a considerable difference between models. That advice largely starts to apply for film or more for cameras above the 1k mark, where the basic features are all included and you're differing on the quality of included systems - not simply if they're present. That said - the kit lens included with most of these cameras is not very good and you should consider getting something better as a top priority. The aperture doesn't go wide enough to give you sufficient creative control over depth of field. Consider picking up a cheap 35mm or 50mm f/1.8 and you'll learn more and get better results.

In regards to the specific camera question, if you can stretch a little above the 1000 dollar mark - go for the D7000. Its in a class clearly above the others. 100% viewfinder, in body motor, high IQ, weatherproofing, dual controls - its a much better camera.

If thats not an option, there are certainly features on the D5100 that are attractive vs the D3100 - which you've already listed and are generally correct. But I think you're overstating the difference in IQ in normal situations - the D3100 is certainly no slouch. The D5100 reportedly feels a bit clumsy from a user experience perspective. Notably, it lacks the drive mode switch of the D3100. The easier your camera is to use to you, the more you'll like it than just higher IQ.

I can't tell you which features you'd use more, but I certainly wouldn't base my sole decision on the IQ between the D5100 and D3100 (even though the D5100 is better). If its between the D5100 and the kit lens or the D3100 and a better lens - I'd get the D3100 and a better lens. If you've got the cash, spring for the D7000 and pick up a 50mm or 35mm f/1.8.

Check out this also:

What should I look for when shopping for my first DSLR?

Are there disadvantages to a prosumer camera for a beginner, aside from cost?


Canon, Pentax, and Sony are all viable options too - What are considerations when choosing a DSLR brand? In your price range, they've all got advantages and disadvantages and there's no clear winner - pick one you like and consider the advice in that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment