Thursday, March 22, 2012

Is it worth getting third-party warranties on lenses?

Question

I've just taken the plunge & ordered a refurbished Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens. Refurbished & on sale, it's still expensive -- about as much as my T1i + other lenses put together! I think my primary usage warrants it, but this still makes me a bit tense.

The Canon warranty on refurbished products is just 90 days. In that time, I'll certainly play with it, try to test sharpness, etc., so I will hopefully feel confident it's not a lemon. But given that this is a small, valuable, highly portable item, is it worth getting a third-party warranty on it?

Asked by khedron

Answer

It would help to know if you're an amateur or professional. If it's for professional/paid use then it should be listed on your insurance anyway. Insurance takes care of liability and equipment problems.

If you're an amateur then you might consider a personal articles policy for insuring your equipment. In the US camera equipment is not generally covered by homeowners or rental insurance. If you obtain third party insurance then it will cover not only damage but also theft and misuse. In my opinion, this is much more valuable than a third party warranty.

Here in the US a good option is a personal articles rider on your homeowner's insurance. You can cover a pretty significant dollar value of equipment for a small yearly fee.

Answered by nwcs

No comments:

Post a Comment