Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How does one create a Diptych or Triptych with angled/non straight lines between the photos?

Question

How can I create a Diptych/Triptych or any collage for that matter with the individual photographs not in a regular rectangular shape. An example may be say 2 photos intersecting at the diagonal. Example below.

The image below is the traditional diptych with images lined up side by side.

sample diptych

This is how I want them to be lined up.

Sample required diptych

Answer

You can do it fairly easily in the GIMP. I'll demonstrate with these two photos of a hawk and a bison:

enter image description here enter image description here

I'll put the bison in the lower-left. I'll start by cropping the picture to put him in the lower-left of the frame (cropping out about the left third and the bottom quarter of the image), and then I'll delete the top-right of the picture. I use the "free select" tool, click at the top-left, then the bottom-right, then draw the rest of the selection around the top-right of the picture:

enter image description here

I select Layer | Transparency | Add Alpha Channel, so I can make that top-right section transparent, then I press the Delete key to delete the selection I just made. Now I have a place to put the hawk:

enter image description here

The easy way, now, is to open the hawk photo as a layer, and move it into position. I use File | Open as Layers... and select the hawk photo. The hawk photo is the only thing visible, so I need to lower its layer. I go to Windows | Dockable Dialogs | Layers to bring up the Layers tool (you can also press control-L). The hawk layer is on top, so I move it down by clicking the "lower this layer" down arrow.

enter image description here

After that, the hawk appears "behind" the bison. Now I select the Move tool, and move the hawk picture around until the hawk is where I want it:

enter image description here

Now, just save (GIMP will prompt you to export the photo because JPEGs don't support layers) and you're done:

enter image description here

The more time you spend framing the photo (before you take it), calculating pixel locations, and so on, the better the output will be (for example, this photo ends up with that ugly empty spot in the top-left corner). This technique will also work for more than 2 pictures (you just use more layers and delete the same parts of each picture) and for different designs (use the "free select" or any other selection tool to draw whatever shape you want, then make that transparent).

Answered by drewbenn

No comments:

Post a Comment