Saturday, February 25, 2012

Why do these NEF files appear corrupt in Adobe Bridge but fixed by opening in Photoshop?

Question

I recently took some images of a girls soccer team. Upon opening the images in Adobe bridge, about 12 of 250 images had missing data. The "bad" images used different lenses, shutter speeds (from 1/8000 - 1/200), apertures, ISO and flash/no flash.

example: http://www.frozenpixelstudios.com/p342759622/ead12d15#h1168e8d1

At first, I thought I had a shutter issue, but I would think that there would be some data in the "black area". For the heck of it, I opened one of the images in Photoshop, and the issue went away.

example: http://www.frozenpixelstudios.com/p342759622/ead12d15#had12d15

My second guess was that this is just an error while writing the embedded jpg to the NEF file? However, these errors didn't show up on the camera's LCD. Also, after opening the file, the issue goes away in bridge -- its almost as if it is being "fixed", but NEF files can't be edited. When I copy the NEF to a new location, the image is still "repaired".

Any ideas what is happening, or what could cause this?

(relevant camera data is in exif data for the second picture, approximately 70,000 clicks on a D3 body)

Asked by Jess

Answer

Jess,

I'll ask "the stupid question" first: Have you tried clearing the cache in Bridge?

With that out of the way: Have you tried to preview the images in a file manager other than Bridge?

Iain

Answered by IainCunningham

No comments:

Post a Comment