Saturday, January 21, 2012

Will I receive the upgrade discount to Lightroom 4 from Lightroom 2

Question

I currently have Lightroom 2. Will I have to buy the full version of Lightroom 4 when it comes out or can I upgrade?

Answer

Late last year, Adobe announced that they were changing their upgrade policies for Photoshop so that only people owning the most recent major version would be able to upgrade at a reduced price. This caused a fair bit of consternation among industry heavyweights, and Adobe has recently backed off this position -- but only through 2012.

The moral of the story: Although their current policy allows an upgrade from 1.x to 3.x for Lightroom, I don't know that it's a sure thing that they'll allow 2.x to 4.x. Personally, I'm with Nick - I think it's pretty likely they'll allow it, but if they do, I'd be sure to jump on the upgrade, because Adobe doesn't seem too excited about people skipping major versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment