Friday, January 20, 2012

What is the best lens correction software which integrates with Aperture 3?

Question

I want to know if there are any good lens correction software (i.e. plugin) for Aperture 3? I am primarily looking for general purpose lens correction software.

I have looked at the plugin page for Aperture 3, but this does not give a clue which is the best. I have also searched the Internet, but there are not many reviews when it comes to this kind of software.

However what is best might be subjective, but I hope that you could give me the pros and cons of the one that you suggest. I am also interested in your experience with the software.

Some interesting things to know (handy but not necessary):

  • Why is it so good?
  • Is it easy to use?
  • Is it well integrated with Aperture 3?
  • How is the customer support?

Answer

The answer partly depends on what you are trying to correct; for correcting fisheye-style wide angle lens distortion I really like a program called Fisheye-Hemi:

http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

That has just a few settings, but does a nice job making fisheye images look more natural.

Between the three general-purpose lens correction plugins listed (FixLens, LensFix, and PTLens) I'm not sure which is best - PTLens is more classic but traditionally had a rather complex interface, FixLens and LensFix may be simpler to use.

Edit:

Looking at the release dates, FixLens from Human Software was last updated in 2010 - the other two, in 2008! Also the screenshots make FixLens look more advanced... I would go for FixLens for a general purpose tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment