Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How do I know if I'm ready to turn professional?

Question

I love photography.
I love capturing beautiful images and preserving precious memories.
I believe that I have a gift for this - one which I have worked hard to hone and grow over recent years.

I am wondering about trying to earn some of my income from my photography.
However, I find the thought very scary: surely I can't be good enough? Yet I think that I can consistently get results as good as most of what I find online.

How can I tell if I'm good enough?

Am I even asking the right question?

What questions should I be asking myself?

Answer

My tips:

  • Don't assume you're good because friends and family say your are.
  • Don't start with weddings. Wait until you've done a few simpler things first (christenings / babies etc). You may be a great photographer when snapping flowers but how are your people skills / planning skills etc.?
  • Try to sell some stock photos or prints in a market.
  • Go for it! Just don't quit your job until you have run out of weekends and are turning down bookings ;)

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment