Tuesday, January 17, 2012

“Grown Graphic” filters - legit or fakes?

Question

I went to buy a Nikon lens here in China for my D5100 and the salesman tried to talk me into buying a protective filter by "Grown Graphic".

My scam-radar lit up for two reasons:

  • this is China
  • there is a crown on the front but the name is spelled Grown

Google turns up precious few results for this name, and those results are generally for shady-looking webstores. No big name places.

Is this a legit filter or should I steer clear?

enter image description here

Answer

I'm going to vote scam.

Reason being "Crown Glass" is a specific type of optical glass. But not a brand... someone with only limited english proficiency trying to rip off a well known brand is possibly likely to end up with exactly what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment