Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Why does my Nikon D90 have a “Job nr” error?

Question

I have a problem with my D90 I'm unable to figure out. Whenever I take a long exposure with my D90 (say, for 10 or 15 seconds), when the shutter closes again, the info display on the camera reads "Job nr" and the camera is non-functional. If I turn the camera off and back on, it then "saves" the image normally, and pulls up the review photo on the display, as if nothing had gone wrong.

So what's going on here? I don't have any modifications on the camera, I shoot in programmed auto most of the time, and it's a stock 18-105mm lens.

Answer

The "Job nr" is not an error message, it's a status message. You have enabled the in-camera long-exposure noise reduction - the "nr" part of the message.

With noise reduction enabled, after you create a long exposure, the camera takes about the same amount of time to process the image, apply noise reduction, and write image to the card. If you're creating a 15 second exposure, expect about 15 seconds of "Job nr" while the noise reduction is applied.

1 comment:

  1. ah thankyou! I wanted to go out and take long exposures of some freezing fog, not so keen on hanging about waiting all that time for every shot so once I knew what it was I could turn it off

    ReplyDelete