Monday, November 14, 2011

Is there non-online software for creating professional photo books?

Question

I'm interested in Windows and Mac software or a plugin (for Lightroom, Aperture, InDesign, whatever) for creating professional photo books that I can then export as JPEGs (or any other format that is open to me and not only to that software maker), so that I can do with it what I want (e.g. send it to a local printing service, create an online flash book, etc.).

What I'm looking for is something to help me make pages interesting, like having multiple images on one page, using frames, shadows, photo positioning, etc. to create a compelling book (a series of pages).

Lots of presets

Having lots of presets is a must. Presets being page templates, borders, captions, effects, etc.

No online solutions

Online solutions and software that is closed (only usable with the online service) are out of the question.

Professional-looking

It is not important to me for it to have thousands of frames and effects, I just want them to look professional and not amateur.

Customizable

If I can customize the effects, frames, placing of photos, etc., that's a big bonus.

Answer

What it sounds like you are looking for is album design software. This is really where someone with a background in wedding photography can lend a hand. It has been a tradition you could say to order a wedding album for yourselves as the bride and groom, and also to order "parent albums" that they can display proudly of the event.

There are many different options available, and I don't think you will find a general consensus on what the best is. I can give you a few options that I have had recommended to me though.

In my personal opinion, Yervant and Fundy are the best solutions if you are looking to do this yourself. FotoFusion might be the most in reach for enthusiast photographers though.

Fundy is probably the most popular one from the group of photographers that I know. It is very well done, and lets you pump out great wedding albums in no time. From the output you can send your files through most album companies ROES systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment