Saturday, November 12, 2011

What are the real-life benefits of B+W's MRC?

Question

My 24-105L is in the mail, and I'm looking for a filter to protect the front element. I've decided to go with B+W since they seem to have the best quality to match my L lens.

I've narrowed it down to 2 77mm UVA Haze filters, one has MRC and another doesn't. The MRC filter is double the price, and I want to know if it's worth it.

Let me get a couple of things out of the way:

  1. I'm not looking for an advice on whether to use UV filter for lens protection
  2. I don't mind paying extra $40 as long as I actually get something in return
  3. I'd prefer to hear from people who have one or both of these filters

I guess all I'm looking for are the REAL LIFE benefits of MRC.

Answer

MRC coating is a good thing to consider if you want your filter to last long enough for your lens. MRC stands for Multi Resistant Coating is something like the weather seal for lenses. Its necessary if you tend to shoot in extreme conditions against mist/dust/water drops etc etc. MRC gives you a few benefits:

  1. Cleaning is easier.
  2. More resistant to mechanical scratches.
  3. Water/Moist/Dust is repelled.

Overall my suggestion would be to get the one having MRC as you'll be pairing it with an awesome weatherproof lens, it deserves it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment