Sunday, November 13, 2011

What is an appropriate set of filters for a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS?

Question

I'm buying a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS camera, and also would like to buy a filter to protect its lens. I would like to have complete set of filters ranging from polarized, starburst, UV, and red for sun shots. However I've learned that they can be expensive.

There appears to be two choices: 67mm ring and 58mm ring. Which fits and is suited for this camera?

Also, I would like to know whether the lens cap still works after fitting the filter on top of the lens? Or, is it that I have to put on the filter afterwards each time I remove the lens cap?

Answer

I think you need an adapter, like the one from lensmateonline.com, first (I got one for my SX10IS and was very happy with it). There is a FAQ on that page that should answer most of your questions.

You'll probably need a new lens cap and lens hood.

Personally, I'm not a fan of leaving a filter on the lens all the time to protect it; there are a lot of opinions either way on this subject, you could probably waste a lot of time reading about the pros and cons. A circular polarizer and an ND filter (probably a 3-stop (sometimes called 8x)) are my two favorite filters.

You do NOT need a circular polarizer for your camera. A linear polarizer will work fine. You only need a circular polarizer if you have a DSLR (since the DSLR has a different light path to the viewfinder than to the sensor). Learn from my mistake, where I spent an extra $20 to get the circular polarizer when I didn't need it :) (Of course, now that I have a DSLR, it is useful).

No comments:

Post a Comment