Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What would be a suitable camera for a non-aspiring beginner travel photography?

Question

After getting recently married me and my wife have started traveling a lot. We recently went to Canyon and Mt. Zion and unfortunately our digital camera broke on the way so we were only able to take cell phone pictures (which sucked).

So I am in the market for a new DSLR camera that would be decent for a beginner and won't be too expensive. My friend has a cannon t2i which is in the $600 range without the lens (which I think is a lot for a beginner).

  • What camera would you guys suggest to a beginner like me?
  • What are some of the necessary things I should be looking at when buying my first DSLR?

Update

I plan to spend around 400ish and don't plan to get into photography too much. My main purpose is to take landscape pictures of traveling with family where in most pictures at max I will be about 10 feet away from the person in the picture. My desire to get into photography is being able to take good landscape pictures of family with some moderately advanced pictures.

Sample pics I like:

Answer

It sounds like you are a good candidate for an "SLR like" camera such as the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS. It has very high quality, in a smaller package that is great for travel. It also gives a very wide zoom range for its size and cost.

These SLR like cameras typically have full manual control of things like aperture and shutter speed, but also have auto modes if you are less comfortable or desire less control of the camera.

A DSLR is going to set you back at least $400 for the initial body purchase, but much, much more if you want to accompany that with a reasonable setup of lenses. It also sounds like you are not interested in interchangeable lenses, which really puts you out of the market for a DSLR anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment