Thursday, October 27, 2011

Can I fire my SB600 without using my D90 on-camera flash as a trigger (with CLS/TTL)?

Question

So as mentioned above, I have a D90 and an SB600. I can set up the SB600 to be used as a flash on-camera and off using TTL w/ the D90 as a commander. What I'm trying to understand is can I fire the SB600 without using my on-camera flash as a trigger? Maybe I don't quite understand how CLS/TTL works, but I was thinking that I'd be able to put the SB600 wherever I'd like and could fire it wirelessly (there's also an AA setting that i'm not sure about). I know that Pocket Wizards and Cactus wireless triggers exist and I think I understand how they work, but I'm wondering if they're a requirement when you're using all nikon gear with a body that is a commander...

Thanks.

Answer

You can absolutely use other triggering mechanisms, but the wireless part of the CLS uses the on-camera flash.

One way that's cheaper than the PocketWizard route is a cable. Refer to Strobist's Lighting 101 Series for hints on connectivity options.

If you're using Commander mode, did you set the on-camera flash to -- (essentially off)? From what I can tell, by shooting a picture of my camera and my SB-800 into a mirror, the on-camera flash does appear a little bit, so you might see it catchlights (as I recently did), but does not contribute significantly to the lighting of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment