Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How can I hold my face in the same place for a month long daily self-portrait?

Question

I want to take a self-portrait every day over a period of a month. I want to turn these photo's into an animation so it is important that the face is in the exact same position on each shot (the background may vary). Ideally I would like to use the built in webcam on my Mac for this (quality is sufficient).

Are there any tips, techniques or props to make this easy ?

Answer

I have seen complex setups involving rings around your body/head to make sure you are positioned perfectly in the frame. You could also do something simple like mark the position of your webcam(monitor) with tape and mark the position of your chair, then simply sit up straight.

Personally my favorite option is simply to use a ruler or similar measuring device, and position your eyes so that they are directly aligned at that distance. Pretty simple procedure, and you will be close enough to see the daily-self-portrait progression

All of this may be unnecessary though, you can use software to remove any of the jittery frames and balance out the slight imperfections if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment